Please sign in to participate in this lecture discussion.

Resetting Your Password?

Start Learning Now

Our free lessons will get you started (Adobe Flash® required).
Get immediate access to our entire library.

Membership Overview

  • Available 24/7. Unlimited Access to Our Entire Library.
  • Search and jump to exactly what you want to learn.
  • *Ask questions and get answers from the community and our teachers!
  • Practice questions with step-by-step solutions.
  • Download lecture slides for taking notes.
  • Track your course viewing progress.
  • Accessible anytime, anywhere with our Android and iOS apps.

Frederick Douglass Academy Middle School Review

Frederick Douglass Academy Middle School opened in 2006 for students in 6th through 8th grade with a college preparatory curriculum. The school offers a variety of learning methods to ensure the needs of the student are met. The student body is mainly African American at 96% with the rest of the population being 4% Hispanic or Latino.

Along with core subjects, the school offers drawing, theater, photography, chorus, band, dance, and computer arts. Sports available include cheerleading, baseball, basketball, football, physical education classes, softball, rugby, swimming, and rugby. Other programs include yearbook, community service, science & technology, and academic contests.

Parents stated the learning environment is amazing. They stated the teachers are very devoted and work with students on a personal level. Students expressed they like the school, curriculum, and teachers. The curriculum is challenging but teachers help students if they need it.

The Academic Performance Index showed a decline in academic growth from 692 to 677. The goal statewide is a score of 800.

The California Standards Tests is used to learn if students are mastering core subjects. The various tests are given to 2nd through 11th grades in English, grades 2nd through 7th are given tests in math, and science tests are administered to students in grades 5th, 8th, and 10th, while history tests are given to students in 8th and 11th grades.
The percentage of students passing the exams at Frederick Douglass Academy Middle School was below state average across all grade levels and all subjects.

With the exam scores being below average it would be a good idea to talk with administration regarding the curriculum as well as other parents that have students enrolled before enrolling your child.

Have you studied at Frederick Douglass Academy Middle School?
Please provide a brief review of your experience at Frederick Douglass Academy Middle School in the comment section to help other readers!

Frederick Douglass Academy Middle School
7900 S. Western Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90047
Phone: 323-750-2164


Get full access to’s entire library of courses.